Friday, October 9, 2015

To read is a need

I am not sure where my love for reading exactly originates from. Somewhere in the midst of childhood, I suppose. I am just glad to call books my friends even to this day. In this age of technological advancement I am super proud to still cherish this favourite habit of mine – reading books the original way. Oh! There is something about holding a book and physically turning the pages, placing a petal bookmark, carrying it in your bag, holding it close to your chest while walking on the road, putting it on your desk and finally resting it in your bookshelf. Talk to me about the joys that simple things bring in life!

When I started earning I promised myself that the first thing I would buy every time my salary gets credited, is a book. I even did this for some time. This does not imply that I have read umpteen number of books. Ask any avid reader and you will find their thirst for books is constantly insatiable. I completely and hopelessly believe in ‘signs’ in everyday life events and the current house I am living in came with an in built book shelf in one of the rooms. Seriously, I had even put this ardent wish in the far corner of my mind and heart and had almost forgotten about it. Needless to say, I am protective of this area in my house just like any animal is of its territory. I am so thankful to the experiences that motherhood offers. One of them, in this context being, reading to my son. I never was read to nor can I remember reading books when I was at my son’s current age. So, I seem to be making up for this every time I pick books for him and read them to him. There is such a mammoth magnitude of children’s books that sometimes I feel my son needs two or more childhoods in parallel to read them all. I recently read a book to him by Stan and Jan Berenstain called “The Bike Lesson”. Both of us were in tears laughing at the very thing the book was spot on about – humour, humour that entices children. This is what I call mummy moments hidden in daily monotonous madness. He now wants me to read it to all his friends that come home. The other collection of children’s book I have enjoyed is Dr.Suess’ books. His books are not just for children but also for the child in every adult. I must confess there was a point when I was angry with Dr.Suess because my favourite little human made me read “The Lorax” - every word, every page, every night for a bit over a month!

You know the feeling I love to feel? In my eagerness to finish the book I have to invariably cope with the sadness that I will reach ‘The End’ which means that I have to get back to dealing with real people in real life! Who said life is fair?

To help you embrace reading, here is a quote:
If you never did, you should.
These things are fun.
And fun is good.
~Dr.Suess

 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I second you on how reading books adds on in a big way to "small" pleasures of life.
I feel guilty to have waited for the clock to strike 5 so that I cd continue my book while in train (more than the thought of picking up my kids from school :), and wishing for a job in cbd so that I would get more time to read during travel without any distraction)..
We are indeed lucky to have book as a companion at all times.. I am glad my daughter is enjoying reading books lately, and hope reading bed time stories to my son will bring out a reader in him shortly. .

Unknown said...

I admired the introduction part which reminded me of my old Kannada sahitya days. Loved beauty of putting simple and small emotional threads on books. Naveen and I wait for our turn to enjoy the moments while reading for kids. I remember I was reading Vamshsvraksha book by S L Byrappa when I was 13.. I know it was too much....

Seriously so many thoughts keep coming in our mind when we try to put them on the paper, feel like achieved and relieved. Not all of us can do this, so we'll done Archi keep it up and keep us posted.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.